Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Tue, 06 September 2011 15:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:52:06 +0300
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Matthew Kaufman <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

Hey Matthew,

На 06.09.11 18:20, Matthew Kaufman написа:
> On 9/6/2011 7:46 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>> In my roll as an individual contributor, I want to propose some
>> text that I think we can get rough consensus on around that helps
>> specify which parts of the signaling issues we agree on and which
>> we don't.
>>
>> At the last meeting, my read of the the room was there was a fair
>> amount of agreement in the room that offer / answer semantics  with
>> SDP are what we want to use. I don't think there was was broad
>> agreement on if one should use SIP or not, or for that matter
>> jingle. If we can nail down this decisions as the direction the WG
>> is going, it will really help make progress. What I would like to
>> do is propose some following principles in the text below. If we
>> have agreement on these, then they would go into the overview
>> document and help guide the design of other documents. I want to
>> highlight that none of the principles below imply that we would
>> need to use SIP in the browsers - the principals would all work
>> fine if we there was signaling gateway in the web server that
>> converged SIP to whatever proprietary HTML / JS  / HTTP that the
>> applications wanted to use between the browser and the web server.
>>

>> 1) The media negotiations will be done using the same SDP
>> offer/answer semantics that are used in SIP.
>
> I think this would be unfortunate. We have an opportunity here to not
>  repeat this mistake.

I'd be interested in hearing what mistakes you have in mind.

> And *if* we go down this road, we need additional language around
> things like exposing the capabilities via an API that doesn't start
> the offer/answer process itself. (Use case: determine if a browser
> has an appropriate camera and encoder before suggesting that they
> call the customer service rep for a live chat.)

+1

Personally I'd vote for mimicing XMPP's service discovery here. (see
XEP-0030 and XEP-0115 on http://xmpp.org/extensions )

I definitely think discovery of capabilities should not be part of the
offer/answer negotiation.

Emil

--
http://jitsi.org