Re: [rtcweb] draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-00 posted

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> Tue, 25 October 2011 14:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:56:49 -0700
From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-00 posted

Hi Hadriel,

I'm finding this requirement to be oddly worded:

Req. 7: Data streams MUST provide fragmentation at a layer above UDP, such
> that IP-layer fragmentation does not occur no matter how large a
> message/buffer the Javascript application passes down to the Browser to be
> sent out.

Isn't the issue that the data stream must understand the path MTU and must
chunk the data so as to avoid IP fragmentation?  If it did not, it could run
into IP-layer fragmentation even with a relatively small amount of traffic
to send.  Why tie that requirement either to a "layer above UDP" (since
running this over UDP is not decided) or to the size of the data to be
passed?

I'm guessing that at the back of this is a requirement like "Please, don't
make the downloaded javascript application figure out how to chop up the
data to make it pass unmolested over the path".  I heartily agree with that,
but if I'm understanding you right, that would be:

Req. 7:  Data streams must avoid IP-layer fragmentation without requiring
the Javascript application to restrict the size of messages to be passed
over the channel.

Does that make sense?

regards,

Ted