Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Fri, 26 October 2012 02:07 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Ron <ron@debian.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.5]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

Hi Ron,
A few comments inline.

On 10.26.2012 08:15 , "Ron" <ron@debian.org> wrote:

[...]
>"I cannot use it because people are still fighting in the courts
> over who actually has a licence and how much one should cost",
>is more than a technical problem, it's a real and present, and
>apparently quite enduring danger haunting H.264, and not just for
>the people otherwise ineligible to get a licence for it at all.
>
>Am I forgetting one, or is it really now the most litigated codec
>in the history of all codecs?

Oh yes, you are forgetting MPEG-2.  Out of the top of my head, I can
recollect four high profile lawsuits regarding MPEG-2 video essential
claims.  I believe there have been several more, and enforcement is going
on even in the most recent past (the Nero antitrust dispute being the most
prominent one in the last three years).

Many of those MPEG-2 related lawsuits were the result of enforcement
action in an emerging licensing ecosystem that is based on royalties.  I'm
not aware of any video codec patent disputes, nor of any significant
royalty-bearing licensing deals in the video codec space, before the
advent of MPEG-2, formation of the related MPEG-LA pool, and the resulting
wave of litigation.

While there have been a few more, the single most prominent H.264 related
lawsuit today is the action brought by Motorola/google against a number of
companies that could be viewed as threatening the Android ecosystem.
(Most of the older stuff is straightforward enforcement in a settled
royalty-bearing ecosystem.)  The Motorola lawsuits are IMO strategic
disputes, and the use of video codec related patents is just a means to
achieve a higher goal: keep the Android system competitive.

Also, with respect to the Motorola lawsuits, it is my understanding that
the patent claims being litigated are related to interlace technologies
and, therefore, are not relevant to the practice of constrained baseline.
I'm not going to discuss this further; those interested may want to
consult the web or, much better, your trusted patent lawyer.

[...]

Stephan