Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 23 October 2012 02:33 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Ron <ron@debian.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:33:29 -0700
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

Ron said:
> If the cost of simply tracking all those users didn't bankrupt me all
> by itself, then the licence fees certainly would try to finish the job.

[BA]  Pardon me if I'm obtuse, but I'd like to better understand the situation that is resulting in your being concerned about having to pay license fees and track users.

Are you developing HTML5 applications?  f so, are you envisaging that as an HTML5 developer writing a WebRTC application for a browser that supports H.264 you would need to pay licensing fees?

Are you working for a browser vendor?  If so, are you envisaging that you would need to pay licensing fees based on the number of users of your browser?

Are you a developer of applications looking to interoperate with WebRTC?  If so, are you calling APIs that enable you to use the H.264 implementation in the OS platform, or accessing the hardware encode/decode functionality (available on most SoC platforms)?  If so, do you believe that you need to pay license fees?

Or do you primarily develop on platforms without H.264 support in the OS, and on hardware with no H.264 encode/decode support?