Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-13.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 01 December 2014 08:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 09:55:17 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-13.txt

On 11/30/2014 08:44 PM, Makaraju, Maridi Raju (Raju) wrote:
>> A WebRTC browser (also called a WebRTC User Agent or WebRTC UA) is      >something that conforms to both the protocol specification and the
>> Javascript API defined above.
> Thanks for adding updates to the terminology, which now captures most
> of it.
> I have a comment on the above text in 2.2.
>
> This seem to focus more on WebRTC **browser**. But, there are hybrid
> environments, such as Apache Cordova, which are not browsers but can
> conform to protocol specification and Javascript API just like a
> browser (as most of the times they share same source code as a browser). Android KitKat provided WebView component, that supports WebRTC APIs+Javascript, is one example which is close to native than hybrid environment. To include these use cases, I suggest changing the above text to:
>
> "A WebRTC User Agent or WebRTC UA is something that conforms to both the protocol specification and the Javascript API defined above. WebRTC browser is one such WebRTC UA. However, other non-browser implementations may conform to WebRTC UA as well."

I find it simpler to call all these browsers.
The W3C has chosen to coin the term "interactive user agents", but I
find that term clumsy in practice.
As written:

    o  A WebRTC browser is something that conforms to both the protocol
       specification and the Javascript API defined above.

    Browser:  Used synonymously with "Interactive User Agent" as defined
       in the HTML specification [W3C.WD-html5-20110525].

Android WebView in particular is actually Chrome with some of the user
interface stripped away. I don't see a compelling reason to use a
different term here.