[RTG-DIR] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd-05.txt

"John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net> Wed, 06 June 2012 20:31 UTC

From: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 16:29:09 -0400
To: rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [RTG-DIR] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd-05.txt

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing ADs. For more information about the Routing Directorate, please see http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/routing.html

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd-05.txt with attention given to -06 as well.
Reviewer: John Scudder
Review Date: June 6, 2012
IETF LC End Date: June 6, 2012
Intended Status: Proposed Standard

I have some minor concerns about this document that I think should be resolved before publication.

Comments:

None.

Major Issues:

No major issues found (although see minor issue 5 below).

Minor Issues:

1. It is not clear why demand mode was explicitly excluded. TRILL would actually seem to be a reasonable fit for demand mode.

2. "there will be only a single TRILL BFD
   Control session between two RBridges over a given interface visible
   to TRILL."

I was not able to unambiguously parse this clause. I suggest rewriting it, possibly with reference to a pair of RBridges RB1 and RB2 and their interfaces RB1_Int1 and RB2_Int1. Or something like that.

3. "the entire TRILL BFD Echo protocol specific
   data area is considered opaque and left to the discretion of the
   originating RBridge.  Nevertheless, it is RECOMMENDED that this data
   include information by which the originating RBridge can authenticate
   the returned BFD Echo frame and confirm the neighbor that echoed the
   frame back."

The "RECOMMENDED" above seems like an abuse of RFC 2119 terminology. As a reminder, RECOMMENDED is a synonym for SHOULD which in turn basically means "MUST unless you have a good reason". So the RECOMMENDED contradicts "left to the discretion", and furthermore it's kind of pointless to normatively-in-all-caps issue what amounts to very general advice. One heuristic I sometimes use: can I write a conformance test for the text in question? If not, it is very likely not really normative.

Changing to a lower-case "recommended" would fix this.

4. In two places text like the following appears:

   Is the M-bit in the TRILL Header non-zero?  If so, discard the frame.
   TRILL support of multi-destination BFD Echo is beyond the scope of
   this document.

If multi-destination doesn't make sense in the context of TRILL, it is fine to exclude it by enforcing that the M-bit be zero. However, I normally parse "beyond the scope of this document" to mean something like "we may do it in the future but haven't worked it out yet". By forcing the M-bit to be zero, you're placing multi-destination *in* scope, inasmuch as you are actively forbidding it from being supported.

Presumably the sentence about "beyond the scope" was meant to justify this decision. Perhaps the comment about "scope" should be dropped and a different justifying sentence used. (Or the sentence omitted altogether.)

5. Presumably the Security Area reviewer may raise this, but the Security Considerations section seems to be misused. My understanding (confirmed by referring to RFC 3552 Section 5) is that the Security Considerations section is intended to be an analysis of issues that arise from the operation of the protocol defined in the rest of the document, including but not limited to the security features of that protocol.

This document's Security Considerations section instead specifies how authentication is to be done, though it doesn't provide an analysis of it or of any broader issues. I presume the section should be retitled (e.g., to "Authentication") and a proper Security Considerations section added.

(This would probably be a "major issue" if I were the Security Area reviewer, but I'm not.)

Nits:

1. "The BFD (Bi-directional Forwarding Detection [RFC5880]) protocol provides a low-overhead, short- duration detection of failures"

The use of the term "short-duration" seems broken, to the extent that I don't know what you really mean. Maybe you mean that failures are expected to be detected quickly? In any case, I suggest you rewrite this, maybe with more words, to say what you mean.

2. "   This document describes a TRILL encapsulation for BFD packets for
   networks that do not use IP addressing or for ones where it is not
   desireable."

You misspelled "desirable". But also, what is the referent of "it"? Use of IP addressing? As written, I parse that clause as "networks that use IP addressing but in an undesirable way" which is probably not what you meant. I'd actually suggest just dropping the "or" clause.

3. "When running BFD
   over TRILL both Single Hop as well as in Multi Hop sessions are
   supported."

This should either be "... both single-hop and multihop ..." or "When running BFD over TRILL single-hop as well as multihop sessions ...".

Also, are the capitalizations really needed? As far as I know neither term is proper. I have flagged other capitalization errors where noticed, below.

4. "BFD over TRILL supports the Echo function, however this
   can be used for only Single hop sessions."

Should be "this can only be used for single-hop sessions."

5. "For Multi Hop
   sessions the Hop count check can be disabled if the MH flag is one."

Should be "For multihop sessions the hop count check..."

6. "Note that TRILL BFD provides OAM facilities for the TRILL Data plane"

Should be "TRILL data plane" (or less likely, "TRILL Data Plane" if it's really proper).

7. "TRILL BFD Echo frames SHOULD be sent on a link only if the following
 	   points are met." (Draft -06)

Should be "following conditions".

8. "TRILL BFD frames over one hop for such
   purposes SHOULD be sent with priority 7."

Suggest "frame priority 7" for clarity.

9. "although work is being done in the Area [MultiBFD]."

Should be "in this area" (or "in the area").

10.    "Consistent with TRILL's goal of being able to operate with minimum
   configuration, the default for BFD authentication between neighbor
   RBridges is based on that state of IS-IS shared secret authentication
   for Hello between those RBridges. However, if such BFD authentication
   is configured then its configuration is independent of that for IS-IS
   security."

a. Should be "... based on the state of IS-IS ..."
b. Suggest adding "as detailed below" to make it be: "based on the state of IS-IS shared secret authentication for Hello between those RBridges, as detailed below."
c. It seems what you are really trying to say is that the default authentication for BFD is inherited from the IS-IS authentication configuration as given below, but that the default can be overridden. The way you have said it is pretty hard to understand. Suggest rewording it more as stated here.

11. "       HMAC-SHA256 ( ( "TRILL BFD Control" | originatorMAC ),
                     IS-IS-shared-key )"

Is it common to use the pipe character for concatenation? I'm not familiar with it for such, and found it confusing.

12. "   Echo frames to be returned by that neighbor SHOULD be authenticated
   and such authenticate SHOULD use different keying material from other
   types of authentication."

Should be: "... and such authentication SHOULD ..."

13. "IANA is request"

Should be: "IANA is requested"