Re: Power consumption reduction in edge and core routers in the internet

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Sun, 09 September 2012 21:48 UTC

To: balaji venkat Venkataswami <balajivenkat299@gmail.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Subject: Re: Power consumption reduction in edge and core routers in the internet
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:48:49 -0400
Cc: Shankar Raman <mjsraman@gmail.com>, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>

Banji,

Sorry if I have to get a bit harsh in my wording, but your persistance
forces it.

In message <CC7281FC.E6EE%balajivenkat299@gmail.com>
balaji venkat Venkataswami writes:

> Dear Curtis,
>
> Thank you for your detailed reply on this matter.
> Agreed. We should definitely try optimising at the device level.
> What you have suggested all of them fall at the device level.

You have no basis for the statement "What you have suggested all of
them fall at the device level".

I just spent a good part of my time for the last few year working at
an transport equipment vendor and working with a small number of chip
vendors who make high end packet forwarding chips and have a good
understanding of where the power goes in some of today's high end
routers and have a good relationship with number of service providers
who would like to reduce their power draw.  Prior to that I was at a
high end router vendor.  Prior to that in Internet operations and
routing software work for the NSFNET.

I suspect that you've never even seen a high end router such as a
CRS-1 or CRS-3 or T-1600 and have no idea what the power feeds look
like, let along where in those big 10+ KW chassis the power goes.  If
you did have any idea where the power goes, you would not make a
statement like "What you have suggested all of them fall at the device
level".

> Once you have reduced power to the extent possible at the device level
> there needs to be a protocol based approach to ascertain and discover
> which devices consume the least power in the topology (in a system of
> devices and interconnecting links). After all the system level of looking
> at a collection of such devices and links matters too.

You have no basis for the assertion "there needs to be a protocol
based approach to ascertain and discover which devices consume the
least power in the topology".  If you talk to someone at a service
provider you won't hear this.  Mick just expressed his doubt.

> Our approach in these documents refers to the method of discovering such
> low power consuming devices in a topology of such devices and routing the
> traffic through them. We leave it to others to concentrate on the device
> level while we apply algorithms and protocols at the intra-AS and inter-AS
> level.
>
> Every one of our ideas in these drafts concentrates at a system level
> where such a system consists of more than ONE device and not just a device
> in isolation. After all there is bound to be differences in power
> consumption at the device level between two or more devices in a topology
> of nodes and links. This difference we exploit to direct traffic through
> those nodes and links that are efficient in power consumption and hence we
> reward the devices in an intra-AS scenario and Ases in an inter-AS
> scenario with more traffic. The greater the load they can take on without
> consequent linear or more than linear power consumption the better the
> internet is with regard to system / Internet level power consumption.

I'm amused by "where such a system consists of more than ONE device
and not just a device in isolation".  Did you think anyone here
thought a core router had only one chip in it?  Do you have any clue
what the "fabric" I mentioned was?

I think it is time for you to stop making uniformed assertions and go
do your homework and find out what service provider topologies look
like, what type of equipment they deploy, where the power goes within
those types of equipment and therefore the topology as a whole, and
then think about how to reduce it.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Shankar and team

The question for the WG is whether this work is of any interest to the
IETF.  My opinion is a *NO*, there is no interest in this work.

At this point we need to hear other opinions, but so far I hear no
support.

Curtis