Re: [saag] Additions to RFC 3631?

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Tue, 29 May 2012 16:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:59:56 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: ext Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>, IETF Security Area Advisory Group <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [saag] Additions to RFC 3631?

The transition from one security solution to another one was already
mentioned at the Paris IAB technical plenary as a tough issue. (Looking
at IPv6 it seems that transition is in general a problem -- not only for
security.)

What surprised me with the presentations of the panel members was that
there are even new security problems introduced with the roll-out of new
solution solutions that interfere badly with existing deployments. Chris
Weber provided the example of CORS.

Here is the pointer to the slides and the meeting minutes (in case
someone wasn't listening to the plenary):
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/technical-plenary.html

In a nutshell, I agree with what you state below, Steve. I would just
extend it beyond cryptographic algorithms.

Of