Re: [scap_interest] Gaps in Risk Management

Adam Montville <amontville@tripwire.com> Tue, 14 February 2012 21:07 UTC

From: Adam Montville <amontville@tripwire.com>
To: Karen Scarfone <karen@scarfonecybersecurity.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:07:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.16.97.166]
x-exclaimer-md-config: 79afcaa7-fdf4-4fa6-abe0-afeaa4640a4f
Cc: "scap_interest@ietf.org" <scap_interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Gaps in Risk Management

Great points, Karen!  These are issues that should be discussed.  Maybe the end goal would be to get to an ability to represent risk, but the interim step is to more completely represent vulnerabilities and their relationships.  Whatever we come up with for the automation piece should certainly feed into a larger risk management picture which could take into account the "human vulnerability" measurements.  In other words, I believe that we can provide risk measurement in a modular way, where conveying misconfiguration risk would complement vulnerability risk, and vice versa, without necessarily requiring the other elements of risk management to be present – these would feed up into the risk management system.

I could see vocabulary of relationships being established as part of closing these gaps.  At the same time, we could be working to understand the variety of risk management frameworks that are out there and determine how to feed our data into those in an appropriate manner – this seems to imply a risk reporting effort of some kind.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree that relating configuration items to other configuration items is an issue that needs to be addressed.  If we look at many control frameworks, we'll see some control with a derived requirement for "strong authentication."  What does that mean for a Windows Server 2008 box managing users with user/pass credentials?  We have to take into account not just password length, history, complexity and the like, but also account management settings (lockout, threshold and so on) and attack effectiveness as well (so it's not just relating configuration items to other configuration items).  It becomes rather complicated.

Adam