RE: [Seamoby] CAR DiscoveryProtocol Requirements...

"Qiang Zhang" <qzhang@ecutel.com> Fri, 11 January 2002 22:49 UTC

Subject: RE: [Seamoby] CAR DiscoveryProtocol Requirements...
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:38:35 -0500
From: Qiang Zhang <qzhang@ecutel.com>
To: Hemant Chaskar <hchaskar@hotmail.com>
Cc: seamoby@ietf.org
Sender: seamoby-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

This sounds more an IPsec issue. In reality, it does happen that a public IP needs to IKE to a private IP behind a perimeter gateway, the private IP is non-routable unless NAT mapping is performed.

The solution for sake of saving headache can be to introduce additional tunneling beneath the IKE, such as UDP encapsulation.

2 SAs can probably achieve a similiar effect in a lot scenarios, but unfortunately it also somewhat defeats the peer2peer purpose for certain usages.

Sorry if am actually off topic...

Qiang

Be there RFC or not, this discussion is not based on the relevant issue in
the first place. The issue raised is:

"can you make IKE create an SA between two nodes (one having a public
address and another having a private address)?".

SA between public to private routers need not be done by direct IKE between
public and private peers. In the case of public to private SA, SA can be
created (say using IKE) between public router to border router of private
router. Border router to private router SA can be taken for granted. There
are various ways to do the latter including static configuration. Such a
concatenation of two SAs will guarantee SA between public and private
routers, which is what we want.

Hence, ability or otherwise of creating direct IKE between public and
private is not at all the sumbling block behind the private address space
requirement.

If there is any genuine stumbing block in this requirement, please let me
know it.

Hemant