[secdir] Review of draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-tunneling-03

Shawn Emery <shawn.emery@oracle.com> Wed, 18 July 2012 07:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:00:24 -0600
From: Shawn Emery <shawn.emery@oracle.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-tunneling.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-tunneling-03

ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

This experimental draft describes a SMTP tunneling method to support
priority message values for Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) that don't
understand the MT-PRIORITY SMTP extension.

The security consideration section does exist and is quite detailed in
listing the various attack scenarios and mitigating against these
attacks.  It goes on to provide exceptions of when MT-Priority header
values are not required to be stripped.  These have consequences such as
breaking DKIM signatures, assuming subsequent MTAs are compliant with
the new tunneling, or rejecting the messaging.  The document may clarify
on when it is acceptable to break DKIM signatures and/or describe the
environment.  On the other hand, if the MSA/MTA decides to alter the
message and needs to resign the message then is there any ambiguity of
what the message/fields would be when resigned?

General comments:

Thanks for providing the before and after examples as this was helpful
in my understanding of the protocol.

Editorial comments:

s/Example of such/Examples of such/

Shawn.