[secdir] Review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-10

"Shawn M. Emery" <Shawn.Emery@Sun.COM> Mon, 08 December 2008 19:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:57:28 -0700
From: "Shawn M. Emery" <Shawn.Emery@Sun.COM>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: nfsv4-chairs@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-10
Sender: secdir-bounces@ietf.org

ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This draft describes clarifications to the the Remote Procedure Call
(RPC) Version 2 protocol.  The draft does not specify any change of bits
over-the-wire, but rather clarifies aspects for IANA registry,
implementation, and authentication.

The security consideration section does exist and discusses
recommendations on which security flavors should be used according to
the service in question.  I think that this is sufficient for this
particular draft and that the informative reference discusses the
security implications for the respective security flavors.

I'm not suggesting to address this here, not by any means, but verifiers
could also be useful in some cases in reply messages that are not
accepted by the server.  This is useful when preventing a DoS attack on
clients.  It would be up to the GSS mechanism to determine how to do
this if at all possible.

Editorial comment(s):

s/them in future/them in the future/
s/minimum, the/a minimum, the/