Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-06

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Thu, 27 May 2010 18:31 UTC

From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:30:47 -0400
Cc: draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke@tools.ietf.org, emu-chairs@tools.ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-06

    Yaron> Hi Brian, thanks for your review. I accept all of your
    Yaron> comments, with the exception of the last one: I consider
    Yaron> channel binding as an important capability, which implies
    Yaron> that it needs to be provided in an interoperable
    Yaron> manner. There is no standard set of channel binding
    Yaron> properties yet, but I expect that eventually we will have
    Yaron> one. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-clancy-emu-aaapay-04
    Yaron> presents one viable direction for doing that, and I have
    Yaron> asked the authors of that draft to add a section that
    Yaron> describes how their proposal can integrate with EAP-EKE. In
    Yaron> other words, the Channel Binding Value payload should not be
    Yaron> seen as a "vendor ID", but rather as a placeholder for a
    Yaron> standardized solution.

I've agreed to take over editorship of draft-ietf-emu-chbind.  My role
in this is part of a larger client engagement.  Currently, I'm schedule
to write up my understanding of some open issues with this document
including a discussion I had with Glenn at the last IETF in early June
and to get a new draft out by the cutoff.

One of the specific discussions that came up was the importance of
making sure we have a consistent strategy across EAP methods for
including channel binding values.  I'll be happy to take a look at EKE
when I take a look at other methods for the emu-chbind update.