Re: [sidr] WGLC: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-overview ENDING: 10/21/2015)

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Thu, 15 October 2015 14:21 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:21:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.163.240]
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.0.0.1191-8.000.1202-21880.004
x-tm-as-result: No--38.555200-8.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: No
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No
Cc: "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] WGLC: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-overview ENDING: 10/21/2015)

On 10/15/15, 7:02 AM, "Sandra Murphy" <sandy@tislabs.com> wrote:

>Do you think the bgpsec-ops draft is the right place for that discussion?
>
>Sriram’s draft is an individual submission, not a wg draft.

WG] Well, I'm the wrong person to answer that question because I feel like
SIDR is especially bad about making the reader chase things across
multiple drafts in some mistaken attempt to make the individual documents
more concise. I had to go look at 3 or 4 documents (the BGPsec overview
intro references 8) in order to see if there was more info available
discussing this point that was confusing me, and from Sriram's response
it's clear that I missed at least one portion of that discussion in my
cursory search. I have read many of the documents in the past and should
have some familiarity with them that the average reader may not, so I
think this is indicative of a problem with our document organization, and
in how we decide what is relevant enough to be in the primary document vs
being pigeonholed in a separate one.

Sriram is always quite responsive to feedback, so I'm sure he'll address
some of the discussion in his draft. But given that at least this WG
draft, and possibly others are referencing Sriram's draft in lieu of
explaining things like this directly, is there any reason why we shouldn't
just adopt Sriram's draft? It seems to be representing previous consensus
within the WG on a significant number of major protocol design elements,
so the fact that it isn't a consensus document seems odd.

Wes