Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-rpsl-sig-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 18 May 2016 21:23 UTC

To: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>, Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 22:23:38 +0100
Cc: sidr-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-sidr-rpsl-sig@ietf.org, sidr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-rpsl-sig-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Sandy,

On 18/05/16 22:12, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> comments inline.  speaking as a regular ol’ wg member
>
> On May 18, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Brian Haberman
> <brian@innovationslab.net> wrote:
>
>> Hiya Stephen,
>>
>> On 5/18/16 12:09 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hiya,

DISCUSS:

I'd like to check one thing - this may be needed for strict

>>> Well... sure. But what is the benefit here? IIRC that was
>>
>> I *think* the benefit is supposed to be compliance with the RPKI
>> approach...
>>
>>> something related to making more fine-grained revocation possible
>>> or something which doesn't seem that useful here since a verifier
>>> will likely already have processed stuff already or am I mixed
>>> up?
>>
>> I don't think you are mixed up, but I will let others in SIDR chime
>> in…
>
> There was at one point in the history of resource certificates the
> idea that EE certs could be used multiple times.  (EE certs even had
> their own manifests!)
>
> The signed object definition encapsulated the EE cert used to verify
> the signature.  That revocation of the signed object could be
> accomplished by revoking the EE cert.  Which meant that the EE cert
> should be used just to sign that one object, as Stephen says.
> (otherwise chaos ensues)
>
> As the only defined use of EE certs at the time of the publication of
> 6487 was the use to verify signed objects, the text about EE certs
> was reduced to just that necessary to support the single-use.
>
> This is different.  The validity of the rpsl object is not tied to
> the validity of the EE cert.  The comments from the wg were that this
> draft should talk about the syntax of the new attribute, not the
> authorization/semantics.  So revocation of the EE cert in this case
> would/might not have the effect of revoking the rpsl object.  I
> personally don’t think it likely that it ever will, but that’s IMHO
> only.
>
> So it is a moot question as to whether the single-use is a part of
> “the RPKI approach” for this rpsl-sig use.

But that means that there is no reason to include the requirement
here then or am I missing something? Deleting that "step" in the
signing process would seem like a good idea so. (Assuming that
current implementers, if any, are fine with that.)

>>> If there's no benefit, it seems like that adds a bunch of CA code
>>> just for fun (or "compliance" maybe;-)
>
> curious: how would this single-use requirement add anything to the CA
> code?  If the requirement is in 6487, the CA code would already have
> the checks.  I ask only because I might be missing something.

What I was trying to say was that requiring signers of this to
include all the CA code is the problem/oddity, esp if there's no
real benefit.

So the single-use thing doesn't add to the CA code, it adds a
need for the CA code in the wrong place.

And I guess if the spec says "once only" then I can well imagine
some poor verifier implementer keeping some kind of cache and
checking it'd not seen a signature before or something like that.
And that'd also be kinda pointless code too I think.

>> I could very easily see dropping step 1 from 3.2 and simply
>> augmenting the intro sentence with something about certs/keys
>> generated per 3487.
>
> I think you mean 6487?
>
> You have already suggested removing the SIA requirement from 6487 for
> the EE certs rpsl-sig uses, so these EE certs are already a different
> sort of EE cert. Other special  requirements as necessary.

Great - so no need to do the single-use thing here then? But I
may not be grokking all the consequences of the above so please
do correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
S.