Re: [sidr] Slides for "RPKI Over BitTorrent" presentation

Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@verisign.com> Sun, 01 April 2012 19:44 UTC

From: Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@verisign.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:44:01 -0700
To: Rob Austein <sra@hactrn.net>
Cc: sidr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] Slides for "RPKI Over BitTorrent" presentation

Hey Rob,

One more meta-comment on this thread: we (as designers) should not expect to be prescribing exactly how operators will run their systems.  Here in the very early stages we are seeing the early adopters deploy in ways that make _their_ operations easy.  imho, this is always going to be the bottom line/starting point.  If a solution requires a specific operational model (when others are technically correct), and the overall system scalability can suffer this way, I think we have a fundamental problem.

More succinctly, operators shouldn't need to know why you want their certs in a hierarchy.  Rather, we should recognize that they are telling us that flat structures make their lives easier, and we should use that to reengineer what _they_ need.

Just my 0.02,

Eric