RE: Comments about draft-martin-managesieve-00.txt

Matthew Wall <wall@cyrusoft.com> Fri, 18 February 2000 04:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:08:19 -0500
From: Matthew Wall <wall@cyrusoft.com>
To: ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
cc: Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com>, Edward Hibbert <EH@datcon.co.uk>, 'Lawrence Greenfield' <leg+@andrew.cmu.edu>, Barry Leiba <leiba@watson.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: Comments about draft-martin-managesieve-00.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-mta-filters@imc.org

-- On Tuesday, February 15, 2000 9:36 AM -0800 the entity known as Randall
Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com> wrote:

<begin quote>

> At 9:37 AM +0000 2/15/00, Edward Hibbert wrote:
>
>> ACAP looks as though it's re-inventing another directory service
>> and access protocol
>
> This perception is not uncommon, but the intent of ACAP is not to be a
> directory access protocol at all, but rather a very easy way for clients
> to access data on a central server that is normally kept on the local
> hard drive.  Client configuration and preference data, for the most part.

<end quote>

To which Matthew Wall offers this response on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:02:07
-0500:

I would add somewhat parenthetically is that some kinds of data -- things
like user email addresses, for example -- tends to be identical but be
treated in different ways depending on the context of management and user
access. Directory data, for instance, is a bit different from the way you
want your personal addressbooks to be handled: the example I usually give
is you probably want your Aunt Millie's address in your personal
addressbook and maybe shareable with your wife, but not in the corporate
directory.

Sieve filter strings I expect will have similar provenance -- on the one
hand, there will be times when they may best be stored as part of a
directory, others where they're appropriate to client preference data.

Speaking from the client side of things, from a client that may wish to use
sieve strings in a disconnected mode (e.g. with no LDAP server available),
but where some communication with a remote server is nice for resynching
from time to time, the ACAP model works a lot better. The email client
program treats a user-based and defined filter as yet another preference,
in effect. LDAP can be miserable if you try to overload it with too much of
this stuff.

I do agree that ACAP would be the best management route in the best of all
possible worlds, but don't really see a problem using LDAP or whatever
works in a given environment if the deployment warrants it...we've even
experimented with IMSP 8-).

- mw

PS Larry's comments are well-taken, however, about implementation humps.