Re: Comments about draft-martin-managesieve-00.txt

Alexey Melnikov <mel@messagingdirect.com> Wed, 16 February 2000 17:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:26:17 -0700
From: Alexey Melnikov <mel@messagingdirect.com>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com>
CC: Lawrence Greenfield <leg+@andrew.cmu.edu>, ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
Subject: Re: Comments about draft-martin-managesieve-00.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-mta-filters@imc.org

Sorry for the lack of response from my part. Just came back from UK.

Randall Gellens wrote:

> At 09:17 PM 2/14/00 -0500, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
> >However, defining an "ACAP profile" to
> >handle Sieve scripts isn't as easy as it sounds.
>
> There are always going to be features that are desired in any Sieve access
> protocol.  The goal behind using a Sieve profile is to make it as easy as
> possible to deploy a protocol that meets the absolute minimum, and is
> upwardly extensible (by going to full ACAP).
>
> >I want my IMAP server to be able to
> >   open contexts on my ACAP server that stores the scripts.  This way I
> >   don't have to do an ACAP search for every message delivery but I
> >   won't use out-of-date Sieve scripts.
>
> You could also have an active client that opens contexts on the full ACAP
> server in which the Sieve scripts are stored, and when any of them change,
> pushes the change to the Sieve server.  But that's not my point.  My point
> is that people are going to want a lot in a Sieve access protocol, and
> developers want something that is very easy to implement and deploy.  I
> think a minimal ACAP subset meets the second goal, and provides a way to
> reach the first goal.

I fully agree with Randy (In fact we had a private discussion with him
about the subject).

Currently ACAP profile for Sieve (ACAP Email Account Dataset Class) is
missing some of the functionality described in Tim's document.
Do people think it is worthwhile to extend dataset description?

Alexey