Re: [Simple] Other proposal from View Sharing and Common Notify to reduce presence traffic

David Viamonte <david.viamonte@genaker.net> Fri, 17 October 2008 01:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 03:59:27 +0200
From: David Viamonte <david.viamonte@genaker.net>
To: "Sanjay Sinha (sanjsinh)" <sanjsinh@cisco.com>
Cc: Victoria Beltrán Martínez <vbeltran@entel.upc.edu>, simple@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Simple] Other proposal from View Sharing and Common Notify to reduce presence traffic
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I agree with Sanjay that, at first sight, it seems that for this alternate proposal to work, a sharing of (part?) of the Presence authorization policies between serving and watching domains is needed. On the other hand, making a single "domain-to-domain" subscription as Victoria suggests would be the simplest and probably most simple mechanism to distribute Presence information across domains. In such case the watching domain (RLS) would have responsibility of implementing Presence policies about Presentities in remote domains.

In practice, the need for sharing policy documents is implicitly mentioned in the "Security Considerations" section of "draft-ietf-sipping-presence-scaling-requirements-01". According to that section, no decision has been made yet about allowing or discouraging such approach (delegating privacy protection from one domain to the other). On the contrary, it seems to be left FFS to decide whether this is an acceptable security risk or not ("important part of work on the requirements and optimizations will be to make sure that all the security aspects are covered").

Furthermore, my understanding is that, in practice, this "domain-to-domain single subscription" mechanism does not require the complete Presence or Policy documents being exchanged, only those that might be applicable to any user in the watching domain (of course, including a mechanism to update policies, if needed).  In fact, I think EXACTLY the same comments in the Security Considerations section of the View Sharing draft ("if it generated a subscription from each of its subscribers it would be able to determine who from its domain is allowed to subscribe and what view they would receive") are applicable to Victoria's proposal, so I fail to see substantial security differences between both approaches. I could envisage potential "logistic" issues, though...

Since I am not a security expert, my conclusion is that getting an understanding on whether there are fundamental diferences (from the security perspective) between both approaches would be very valuable. In case there are not such differences, the proposed alternative looks interesting, as it seems to represent a very important simplification (in practice, there would be no need to define any SIP extension at all). It is fair to say that a mechanism to exchange policies would need to be defined (not sure is that is covered elsewhere?).

When it comes to traffic reduction, my understanding is that the "common subscription" mechanism "should" be more efficient than the view sharing approach. Even though it leads to larger documents being exchanged (thus containing more Presence information, which is subject to more frequent change), such documents are delivered only once per domain, while in the view sharing case documents are delivered to each list of watchers sharing a same "policy profile". This is only a preliminary comment without having made serious calculations :-)

Just my 2 cents,

David

Sanjay Sinha (sanjsinh) escribió:
What about allowed/blocked list that a presentity may have, if there is a single subscription between watcher domain's presence server and the watcher presentity.