Re: [Simple] Other proposal from View Sharing and Common Notify to reduce presence traffic

Victoria Beltrán Martínez <vbeltran@entel.upc.edu> Fri, 17 October 2008 17:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:13:37 +0200
From: Victoria Beltrán Martínez <vbeltran@entel.upc.edu>
To: David Viamonte <david.viamonte@genaker.net>
Cc: simple@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Simple] Other proposal from View Sharing and Common Notify to reduce presence traffic
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

Certainly I considered a mechanism to exchange the policy documents of
watched presentities between watching and watched domains in Common
Subscribe solution. The watching domain (RLS) subscribes to an event
(called “privacy filters”) in presentity domain’s presence server.
Whenever a change in the policy documents for any of the presentity’s
watchers happens, a NOTIFY message with “event=privacy filters” is sent
from presentity’s presence server to watchers’ domain. The watching RLS
maintains one subscription to “privacy filters” event per watched
presentity. This subscription could be explicit if existing watchers
were indicated into the body of SUBSCRIBE messages. In this way, when a
new watcher is added a re-SUBSCRIBE message containing the updated
watcher list is sent and a NOTIFY message with the policy documents will
be received by the RLS in response to this resubscription. However, a
privacy filters subscription could be implicit so that the watcher list
is not needed in SUBSCRIBE messages, a simple SUBSCRIBE creates a
subscription to all the existing watchers of the watched presentity.
Clearly, a trust relationship between watching RLS and watched PS is
needed to share full-state presence and policy documents of watched
presentities.

When the watching domain subscribes to a presentity, the SUBSCRIBE
message contains the list of existing watchers in order to let the
watched domain know what watchers are watching the presentity. The OK
response from the watched domain includes the list of authorized
watchers to see some view of the presentity’s presence. A view of
presence is defined by a policy document.

Assuming N watched presentities , with Common Subscribe the watching RLS
will maintain 2*N subscriptions (N for presence event and N for privacy
filters event). In case of View Sharing, the RLS will maintain N*F
setting F as the number of different policy documents per presentity. At
first sight, we can imagine how the performance of VS gets worse as F
increases.

In addition, the fact that policy documents change rarely allows us one
interesting possibility with Common Subscribe. When a common
subscription is created for a presentity in the watched domain’s
Presence Server, automatically a “logical” subscription to the policy
documents associated to the presentity is created too. In this way, the
watching domain receives two initial NOTIFY messages (or a single
multipart NOTIFY), one contains the presentity’s presence and another
one contains the policy documents. Once the policy documents are
downloaded is more than likely that privacy rules don’t change during
the session, so that we save unnecessary signaling traffic to keep alive
subscriptions to privacy filters events. Anyway, if a change of privacy
rules associated to a presentity happened it would be notified as a
NOTIFY message into the common subscription between the presentity and
the affected watchers’ domain. Now, if there are N presentities, the
total number of subscriptions maintained by the watching RLS is N. I
have called this mechanism as internal privacy filters subscription.

I did several assumptions to estimate the performance of Common
Subscribe and View Sharing. I supposed the presence federation scenarios
described in section 2.8 of the draft “Presence Interdomain Scaling
Analysis for SIP/SIMPLE”) (ietf-simple-interdomain-scaling-analysis-04).
I considered both implicit and internal privacy filters subscriptions
when Common Subscribe was applied. With View Sharing, I agree with David
that filter-based subscriptions are subject to less frequent change, so
I supposed that each change affected half of the privacy filters on
average (a notification was generated in half of the existing
filter-based subscriptions on average). The number of filter-based
subscriptions between watching and watched domains is equal to the
number of different policy documents associated to watchers in the
watching domain. I considered several numbers of policy documents
depending on the number of watchers per presentity. My calculations show
that Common Subscribe is more scalable than View Sharing and it achieves
around 50% improvement of presence traffic in the majority of cases.

Regards,

Victoria

En/na David Viamonte ha escrit:

>>> Victoria