RE: [Sip] Connected-identity and changing the To header field ina response

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com> Wed, 05 April 2006 20:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:48:05 +0100
From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Connected-identity and changing the To header field ina response
To: Roland Jesske <roland.jesske@web.de>, "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, sip@ietf.org

Roland,

Yes, there was indeed a misunderstanding, but my draft was not written with
TISPAN requirements in mind. It was written to solve the problem of
authenticated identity, or rather to extend the present concept of the
Identity header to mid-dialog requests and show how that can be used to
solve certain problems.

The Terminating Identity Presentation (TIP) requirement from TISPAN needs to
be addressed by some other means. I don't think modifying the To header is
appropriate. Whereas RFC 3261 anticipates deprecating fixed To/From header
field URIs throughout a dialog (i.e., it anticipates that these will be
allowed to change mid-dialog), it says nothing to warn of any future removal
of the requirement that the To header field URI in the response be the same
as that in the request.

Therefore it seems that whatever solution you adopt for solving the TISPAN
TIP problem, it would have little in common with the connected-identity
draft.

John