RE: [Sip] Re: RLS and identity

"Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com> Tue, 30 November 2004 18:38 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>
To: 'Adam Roach' <adam@nostrum.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Re: RLS and identity
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:04:33 -0000
Cc: SIP WG <sip@ietf.org>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

This creates a number of problems for 3GPP which I think need to be discussed further. I also think the current IESG diktat needs fleshing out with more words on the issues they have with a wider specification of available methods, as I don't believe I have seen that on the list yet.

Adam is also making generalisations when he states "inherently insecure P-Asserted-Identity mechanism". Noone has made any justification of this statement. I accept that P-Asserted-Identity has a restricted applicability, in that it needs a trust domain, and needs to fulfil a number of criteria, as listed by the template at the back of RFC 3325, but that does not make it insecure. Any mechanism is insecure if you do not follow the rules.

Back to the problems. Identity is not ready yet. Yet 3GPP needs RLS in release 6. Creating a normative dependency on identity means that RLS cannot get out in due time.

Moreover, to use identity in 3GPP, we need to examine the interdependence of P-Asserted-Identity and the identity draft, as they need to coexist. We are not in a position to just rip one out and replace it with another, and any suggestion that this should be done is an expression of bad faith on behalf of IETF from when RFC 3325 was created. Identity still only solves half the issues that 3GPP use P-Asserted-Identity to solve. The author of the identity draft appears to have accepted the need to study and document this interdependency, as it is one of the identified open issues for completion of that draft.

Once we have done that, I am perfectly prepared to look at specifying use of identity in 3GPP release 7, but we need to solve the problem of allowing release 6 implementations to have an RLS and that are conformant with IETF RFCs.

I do not want to have to get to the position of 3GPP having to specify something that is not IETF compliant, but that seems to be where they are being driven at the moment.

regards

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies