Re: [Sip] Re: [RAI] RAI review of draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-03

Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Thu, 01 November 2007 15:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:09:58 -0500
From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Re: [RAI] RAI review of draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-03
To: rai@ietf.org, sip@ietf.org

I was going to respond offlist, but Brian's already onlist with followups,
so...

I would like to support Jonathan's understanding here.

I thought the Hitchhiker's Guide was very useful when it appeared, and have
reviewed multiple versions of the draft since then. I would like for it to
be "out there", and I would like for each revision to be as helpful as we
can make it.

(1) delaying publication due to REF-HOLD for completed-and-approved
specifications to pass through RFC Editor processing doesn't seem helpful,
while

(2) removing references to completed-and-approved specifications that don't
have RFC numbers assigned seems even LESS helpful.

I see no problem with references to completed-and-approved IDs in an
Informational RFC that we expect to update anyway. My understanding is that
these IDs really ARE stable references - they no longer expire, and are
replaced with "was published as RFC XXXX" boilerplate when an RFC IS
available.

One recent redirection looks like this (appears as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-dsmip-problem-04.txt)

"This Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-mip6-dsmip-problem-03.txt, was published as
an Informational RFC, RFC 4977 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4977.txt), on
2007-8-29."

As long as we publish specifications the way we publish them, there's going
to be a delay, measured in months, for significant specifications in RFC
Editor processing/Auth48/etc. REF-HOLD for the Hitchhiker's Guide makes no
sense.

Thanks,

Spencer

From: "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jdrosen@cisco.com>