Re: [Sip] Chance to defend position that SIP has had poor consumer traction Etc.

Ari El <ari.reads@gmail.com> Sun, 16 December 2007 16:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:39:46 -0800
From: Ari El <ari.reads@gmail.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] Chance to defend position that SIP has had poor consumer traction Etc.

Lee Dryburgh wrote:

> Marketing for the eComm March 2008 conference (see www.eCommMedia.com) is
> away to drive ahead with the messages which I give them. One of these
> messages is critical towards SIP. Before the marketing material is
> finalised, I'd like to first welcome responses. I'd love to copy all the
> messages but I may run the risk of getting accused of spamming the list so
> below I've just copied the section that relates to SIP:
>
> "Voice Industry Stagnancy
> Telcos still see themselves as masters of communications innovation and
> the
> guardians to the creation of new services. Yet 3G, FMC, IPTV, NGN and IMS
> services are failing in the market place. At the same time consumer
> attention drifts increasingly towards Internet based applications such as
> Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, FlickR, SecondLife, World of Warcraft Etc.
> which
> are becoming increasingly voice enabled.
>
> Yet within the Internet realms VoIP is still heralded as the communication
> revolution. But VoIP on it's own is nothing more than digital telephony
> and
> it will never be profitable. It has gained little consumer traction and
> can
> be announced as dead-on-arrival. SIP the VoIP signaling protocol even
> after
> a decade of development has had little consumer reach and the entire
> notion
> of a common signaling protocol is now under question. "
>
> Now it would seem stupid to ask people to call their baby ugly. BUT what I
> do hope for, is that there is enough people with a balanced view who if
> they
> feel strongly against this position and can provide clear rationale, then
> will have it modified/changed accordingly. Otherwise it will be accepted
> as
> true. Seems fair?
>
> Thanks Lee

> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
> Use sipping@ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip

SIP is a protocol, not an application. Protocols don't have any  "consumer
traction".

Now within the voice industry if you can tell me a single large
wireline/wireless telco that hasn't done some work or planning in replacing
class 4 and later class 5 switching equipment with a SIP/IMS core, you
probably work in another industry. Same core we will use for 4G in wireless.

>From my experience telco investment cycles  have a 5 to 10 year period. All
major telcos have started working towards the change just 2 or 3 years ago.
It will take 2 or 3 more, at least, before we start. Once we do, it will be
fun. Nobody is planning to deploy voip just because it sounds cool or
because the "industry analysts" recommend it. What's more, in the way most
telcos are planning it, it will go mostly unnoticed by customers. We sell
voice or multimedia communications, not voip.

Facebook might have a lot of consumer traction but it doesn't generate any
net income. And they don't offer you any service you pay for. Telcos can
complement facebook while the hype lasts, yes; many are working on that. BTW
anyone remembers secondlife virtual stores?

Just my $0.02