RE: AW: AW: [Sip] Extension of conference procedures

Jerry Yin <jerry.yin@yahoo.com> Tue, 11 September 2007 22:11 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:11:54 -0700
From: Jerry Yin <jerry.yin@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: AW: AW: [Sip] Extension of conference procedures
To: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>

  I think there are two ways to invoke a conference. One is to invoke the conference by the conference server. The other is ad-hoc conference invoked by the participants. The draft-ietf-sip-uri-list-conferencing was trying to solve the problem by initiating a conference from the server.
  Here's what I think for the ad-hoc conference.
  Participants: A calls B (a UA or a conference room) and put B on-hold, and then A calls C. Now A presses the conf button.
  1. If B has a conference room url, A will transfer C to B (by REFER), as some of you discussed already. It actually is supported by some companies already as I know.
  2. But if B is a UA, when the conf button is pressed, the only SIP messages send out by A is the re-Invite (off-hold) to B since most SIP phones support 3-way conference locally. Then A will do the audio mixing locally. So far I didn't find any solution to transfer the local 3-way conference to a centralized conference yet. Currently in our system, we adopted the "Join" header (RFC3911). When A sends the re-Invite to B, it also includes a Join header contains the C's dialog info. The B2B server will translate the Join to a centralized conference. It will Invite C with a Replace header to replace the session between A and C. C will sends a BYE to A. The server will update the media to A and B (reInvite). Then all three parties are in the centralized conference room.
  I hope the new RFC for conference also capture the behavior described in 2. Whether it's Join header or something else. The user should be able to call someone first and then decided to setup a conference.
Jerry

Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> wrote:  Concretely, would we be looking at something like

sip:b-party@provider.com?From=sip%3ca-party@provider.com;tag=x&To=sip:b-party@provider.com;tag=y&Call-ID=i&CSeq=1234&Route=rrr&body=with proper session versions etc>

in order to help the conference server fake a reINVITE towards B?

RFC3261 provides some guidance on the types of headers that elements
might accept as part of a URI. Specifically, it states in 19.1.5:
"An implementation SHOULD NOT honor these obviously dangerous header
fields: From, Call-ID, CSeq, Via, and Record-Route."

I believe the usage that was foreseen for this mechanism (as illustrated
by some of the examples in RFC3261) was to provide some context for the
request, such as Subject and Priority fields. In other words, optional
information that might help the receiver understand the context.

The above are not different semantics for headers in a URI (concept
remains: form a new request based on the URI, inserting the headers),
but it does imply a deviation from the basic SIP call model (basically a
way of encoding dialog state in a SIP URI, and sending that to another
element such that it can reconstruct that state and assume the role of
the party which shared the state).

Apart from the fact that this approach will fall short for SDP related
state: is this desirable?

Regards,
Jeroen