Re: AW: AW: [Sip] Extension of conference procedures

Jerry Yin <jerry.yin@yahoo.com> Wed, 12 September 2007 20:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:13:45 -0700
From: Jerry Yin <jerry.yin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [Sip] Extension of conference procedures
To: Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>

  Hi Alan and Peili,

  Thanks for your responses. I saw Alan's RFC before. I revisited it today briefly. But I still can't find the solution I am looking for. Basically in your RFC, even for the ad-hoc conference, the user always starts with calling the conference server first. What I am looking for is that the user puts two (or more) lines on hold, then he decides to conference them together in a conference room.

  The solution I proposed will allow user to have a smooth experience to conduct a conference in a conference room, if the server supports this feature. If server does not support it then it will be a local 3way conference on the phone that most SIP phones support. The UI design and user experience will be exactly the same in both the cases.

  As to the RFC3911, I agree that it didn't say explicitly that the Join header can be used in a re-Invite. I also admit that my proposal does not interpret the Join header as the RFC defines. But if it works, then we might want to re-interpret the defintion of Join header? Or we might want to consider introducing a new header for this purpose!

  To answer your question, if the join does not match an existing dialog, then according to the RFC 3911, it will be ignored.

  BTW, I saw the RFC 4579 depends on out-dialog REFER. Would it be a security concern?

  thanks,
  Jerry

Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com> wrote:
  Hi Jerry,

The use of a Join header field in a re-INVITE in your system is
problematic. RFC 3911 does not seem to specifically rule it out but
implies that it can only be used in a initial (dialog creating) INVITE.
Also, the error response generation described in RFC 3911 can not be
applied to a re-INVITE scenario, so I'm curious what you do if the Join
does not match an existing one.

There are solutions in RFC 4579 for transitioning conferences to and
from point to point sessions that may be of use to you.

Thanks,
Alan