RE: [Sip] outbound open issues from IETF 67

<Erkki.Koivusalo@nokia.com> Tue, 21 November 2006 16:00 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] outbound open issues from IETF 67
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:11:04 +0200
From: Erkki.Koivusalo@nokia.com
To: rohan@ekabal.com, sip@ietf.org

Hi Rohan,

I do not have any objections to any of the proposals you made
for Outbound. However I have a question related to the Issue 3G
you had on your slideset. The slideset outlined the 3GPP requirement
as follows:

- 3GPP and others want to store multiple path vectors back to an
instance, each associated with a reg-id.
- New registrations with the same reg-id would replace the old binding.
* BUT 3GPP wants to do this unrelated to outbound flow-token
processing
* 3GPP wants separation of binding behavior and flow-token
behavior
* Why? Their IPsec UDP uses several pairs of actual flows,
instead of just one.

In 3GPP there is also a backwards compatibility issue related
to the IPSec SA management in the edge proxy (P-CSCF). Old
implementations not supporting Outbound would drop the old
logical flow (IPSec SA) if the UA registers with a new reg-id
and IP address. Thus the UA should be able to make sure that
the edge proxy supports the new behaviour, before trying to
establish multiple flows over different access networks
towards the single edge proxy.

They have been proposing a new option tag for this purpose,
something like this:

   Name: mreg
      are able to maintain multiple logical flows per UA instance.

What do you think about this proposal ?

Regards,

Erkki