[Sip] outbound open issues from IETF 67

Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com> Mon, 20 November 2006 19:25 UTC

From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:20:40 -0800
To: sip@ietf.org
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>
Subject: [Sip] outbound open issues from IETF 67

Hi Folks,

I've incorporated all the changes we agreed to at IETF67.  For those who
have not seen them yet, please consult the slides available here:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06nov/slides/sip-3.pdf

In addition, I have proposed text for Issues D&E (see below).

In summary, we agreed from the meeting:
- Consensus to use 430 response
- Consensus to keep the "stable flow timer"
Bug A: No objection to fixing this bug
Issue B: consensus to only require 1st hop and registrar to participate
Issue C: consensus for No Action
Issue D: did not discuss, proposal mentioned below
Issue E: did not discuss, proposal mentioned below
Issue F: consensus for No Action
Issue 3G: rough consensus to Accept action 2

(Bug A): Provided mention of the 'rport' parameter.

(Issue 3G): Relaxed flow-token language slightly. Instead of flow-token
saving specific UDP address/port tuples over which the request arrived,
make language fuzzy to save token which points to a ‘logical flow’ that is
known to deliver data to that specific UA instance.

(Issue B): Changed registrar verification so that only first-hop proxy and
the registrar need to support outbound.  Other intermediaries in between
do not any more.

(Issues D&E): Proposal text:
The UAC can situationally decide whether to request outbound behavior by
including or omitting the 'reg-id' parameter.  For example, imagine the
outbound-proxy-set contains two proxies in different domains, EP1 and EP2.
 If an outbound-style registration succeeded for a flow through EP1, the
UA might decide to include 'outbound' in its option-tag when registering
with EP2, in order to insure consistency.  Similarly, if the registration
through EP1 did not support outbound, the UA might decide to omit the
'reg-id' parameter when registering with EP2.

I believe the proposed text for D&E is sufficient and should be fairly
non-controversial.  If anyone has any objections, please speak up ASAP
(and *send text* ;-).

thanks,
-rohan