Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-body-handling

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Thu, 10 July 2008 20:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:09:08 +0300
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Keith Drage <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-body-handling
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Adam,

this is the paragraph we are talking about (in Section 8):

    The situation with 'multipart/related' is similar.  Per [RFC2387], a
    UA processing a 'multipart/related' body processes it as a compound
    object ignoring the disposition types of the body parts within it.
    However, UAs that do not understand 'multipart/related' will treat it
    as 'multipart/mixed'.  These UAs will not be able to process the body
    as a compound object.  Instead, they will process the body parts
    according to their disposition type.

What you are asking for is not to ignore the disposition types of the
body parts within the multipart/related. If we go down that path, we
will need to describe how multipart/related will be different from
multipart/mixed. That is, we would need to clarify what we mean by
"processing the body as a compound object" if the body parts are still
processed per their respective disposition types, as if they were in a
multipart/mixed instead of in a multipart/related.

Following the "propose text" principle, could you please edit the
paragraph above so that we have a concrete proposal on how to describe
the processing of multipart/related bodies and how it would differ from
the processing of multipart/mixed bodies?

Thanks,

Gonzalo