Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-body-handling

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Fri, 04 July 2008 15:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:00:19 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Keith Drage <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-body-handling
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

On 07/04/2008 02:26 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> the problem with redefining stuff that was already defined in email is
> that we may lose the ability to use it as originally defined. For
> example, if I want to send you a MESSAGE request with the html page in
> your example (which includes images), I would probably use
> multipart/related (as in the email in your example). If we redefine
> multipart/related, we may face problems because I may not be able to
> use it like that any longer.

I'm not proposing that we redefine it -- I'm proposing that we relax a
restriction that makes sense for email but not for SIP.

> In any case, do we have any existing extension that sends
> multipart/related in a different context than the one above?...
> because we may not need to use it in other contexts after all.

RFC 4662 does.

The need for clear Content-Disposition differentiation is highlighted by
the exchange Robert and I had a few days ago (subject line "Possible
semantic confusion w/ bodies in subscribes"); in particular, look at the
examples in
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-sip-list-subscribe-bodies-00.txt>.
If we can't put content dispositions on the individual parts of
multipart/related documents, the disambiguation of
application/resource-lists+xml bodies becomes tricky.

> The real question is whether or not we need the ability to have
> extensions that use multipart/related where the content disposition of
> the multipart/related plus the content types of the body parts are not
> enough to understand how to process the extension.

I believe that the draft I cite above provides an existence proof of a
case in which that is necessary.

> The thing is that, when I talked with the apps folks (they reviewed
> the draft), they stressed the fact that they do not like it when we
> redefine stuff that they had previously defined because they expect it
> to work in a certain way when it actually works in a different way.
> The guideline we got was that, if we need to define something new, we
> should really do that instead of redefining an old mechanism. So, if
> we really have the requirement above, maybe it is better to define
> something new than to reuse multipart/related.

In practice, the thing that SIP has redefined here to be substantially
different from MIME isn't the use of multipart/related -- it's the use
of Content-Disposition. Because Content-Disposition really does mean
something quite different in SIP than it does in email, the
email-specific restrictions on it just don't make any sense here. If we
could go back and do it over, I would suggest that the proper thing to
do would be defining a new MIME header -- something like
"Content-Context" -- but that ship has sailed.

/a