RE: [Sip] RE: Open Issue #138: to fork, or not to fork

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Wed, 19 September 2001 07:57 UTC

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: 'Christer Holmberg' <christer.holmberg@lmf.ericsson.se>, Tan Ya-Ching ICM N MC MI E73 <Ya-Ching.Tan@icn.siemens.de>
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] RE: Open Issue #138: to fork, or not to fork
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:38:56 -0400
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Egads! Please don't do things like that.

The lifetime of an early call leg is bounded by the lifetime of the invite
transaction. If an invite transaction ends in a non-2xx, all early call legs
with different tags have been terminated. If an invite transaction ends in a
2xx, existing early call legs have either been terminated, or a 2xx will
arrive within short order (assuming forking proxies cancel after 2xx, which
I have proposed is at least a SHOULD, if not a MUST; otherwise, the uac has
to cancel after the first 2xx to stop other branches). Thus, a short timer,
like 16s, will suffice. After that, any non-2xx'd early call legs are done.

This is worth adding to bis to describe.

> >2) So a UAC can be unaware that an early call leg has been
> >    terminated by the UAS as the 4xx/5xx was 'swallowed' by
> >    the forking proxy. What happens if the UAC tries the terminate
> >    such an early call leg with a BYE (with a To tag), or if the UAC
> >    tries to send requests such as PRACK or INFO (with To tag)
> >    on such an early call leg? Would the proxy respond with 481
> >    (Transaction Does Not Exist) ?
>
> Probably.

More precisely, yes.

> > 3) The last paragraph of the following mail proposed a re-wording of
> >     the forking section of bis-04. What is your opinion on this
> >     proposal ?

I disagree with it, since it is a fundamental change to the proxy
transaction model. It will break backwards compatibility. That is really not
needed, since the problems it is trying to address can be solved as
discussed above in a backwards compatible way.

Here is the bit Ya-Ching is talking about:

> > | We therefore propose the following slight modification of
> forking proxy
> > | behavior to section 17.4 (Forking Proxy) of the bis draft :
> > |
> > | Once the forking proxy has received and forwarded a
> provisional response
> > | with a To tag upstream, it MUST forward upstream any final non-2xx
> > | received on that branch, regardless of the responses
> received on the other
> > | branches. On branches where no provisional responses with
> To tag were
> > | received, the forking proxy behaves as usual, by
> selecting the "best
> > | available final status" for those branches.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com