Re: [sipcore] [Sip] Draft new version: draft-holmberg-sipcore-keep-00 (previouslyknown as draft-holmberg-sip-keep)

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Mon, 04 May 2009 10:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 12:08:44 +0200
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: "Bharrat, Shaun" <SBharrat@sonusnet.com>, sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] [Sip] Draft new version: draft-holmberg-sipcore-keep-00 (previouslyknown as draft-holmberg-sip-keep)

Hi Shaun,

>> When a UAS that supports the method defined in this specification
>> recieves an initial SIP request which contains a "keep" parameter in
>> the topmost Via header, and the UAS wants to allow the sender of the
>> initial SIP request to send keep-alives towards the UAS during the
>> duration of the call, the UAS proxy MUST add a "yes" value to the
>> "keep" parameter.  In addition the UAS MAY include a Flow-Timer
>> header field if the associated initial SIP response.
>
>Which response is this text referring to when this is for a call?
>Does this include the 100 trying? If in the 100 trying, does the keep
need to be in all responses to the INVITE? WHat about the Flow-Timer?

>The reason I'm asking is that 100 trying is often generated at a very
different place than the other responses. It may or may not be feasible
to provide the relevant information in that response.
>I'm trying to understand the intent...

The keep-alives are always sent between two entities communicating
directly with each other (we don't expect SIP proxies for forward STUN
requests etc).

Also, the parameter is inserted in the Via of the request, so it will be
copied into whatever response is generated based on the request.

Regards,

Christer