Re: [sipcore] [Sip] Draft new version: draft-holmberg-sipcore-keep-00 (previouslyknown as draft-holmberg-sip-keep)

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Mon, 04 May 2009 20:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:18:56 +0200
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: "Bharrat, Shaun" <SBharrat@sonusnet.com>, sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] [Sip] Draft new version: draft-holmberg-sipcore-keep-00 (previouslyknown as draft-holmberg-sip-keep)

Hi,

>>Also, the parameter is inserted in the Via of the request, so it will
be copied into whatever response is generated based on the request.

>I understand that the parameter itself will be copied back. What I am
wondering is whether it needs to be set to "yes" in every response or
can this work if it is set to "yes" in the final response but
>not necessarily in the 100 or provisionals.
>
>Support of this functionality is not necessarily global (within a box).
There are architectures where it will not be possible to know whether
support is enabled for that peer at the time or place that
>the 100 is sent. If no one else envisions a problem along those lines,
then I guess my concern is moot.

Since 100 responses are hop-to-hop, they are always generated by the
UAS, so I guess the UAS could choose not to insert a "yes" value in the
received Via when creating the response. We don't use 100 for other
types of negotiations either, so I see no harm in not inserting "yes" in
the 100 response, but still insert it in the forwarded request so it
will be present in all other responses, generated by the remote
endpoint.

Regards,

Christer