RE: [Sipping] Pushing Policies towards the Sender's Domain

"Saverio Niccolini" <Saverio.Niccolini@netlab.nec.de> Tue, 26 June 2007 11:45 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Pushing Policies towards the Sender's Domain
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:45:52 +0200
From: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@netlab.nec.de>
To: SIPPING LIST <sipping@ietf.org>
Cc: Signaling TO Prevent SPIT <spitstop@listserv.netlab.nec.de>

Hannes,

> Hi Saverio,
>
> Saverio Niccolini wrote:
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > to add on what Juergen said, what we adressed in our SPITSTOP
> > draft was not meant to cover only the authorization policies
> > as you are saying, the authorization policies are just a
> special case
> > of the possible communications between domains, others are;
> > -- info related to SPIT estimations
> >

> Have you looked at the following document
> http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/drafts/draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-s
> aml-00.txt
> Is this close to the mechanisms you have in mind?
> (ignore the encoding in a SAML assertion for a moment)

(Ignoring the SAML assertion for a moment)
I had a look at it some time ago (this draft expired in 2006),
I think the SPITSuspect security attribute is the most important
example of info to be exchanged, but also others are good examples,
anyway I think more can be added, maybe we can find time at next IETF
to discuss this.

> > -- messages explaining to the sender domain why the message
> was blocked
> >
> If you are talking about ordinary SIP mechanisms then that is
> fine for
> me. This might help the sender
> Is this your intention or to share blacklists between the two domains?

This could be an example but also pushing back the SPITSuspect scores
or the reason why the callee's rejected a call could be othjer
examples (with the proper considerations to be applied)

> > I clearly see these two points having priority over the
> authorization
> > polices when it comes to pushing info towards the sender domain.
> >
> In some sense this is quite similar to "authorization" policies. The
> difference is, however, whether you do the interaction based on
> individual calls or on an aggregate

I agree on this.

Cheers,
Saverio