Re: [spitstop] [Sipping] Pushing Policies towards the Sender's Domain

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 28 June 2007 11:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:30:14 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Signaling TO Prevent SPIT <spitstop@listserv.netlab.nec.de>
Subject: Re: [spitstop] [Sipping] Pushing Policies towards the Sender's Domain
Cc: 'SIPPING LIST' <sipping@ietf.org>

Hi Jeremy,

one idea that was mentioned by a couple of folks was to provide a very
simple spam score added to a header. The most likely use case is that
your trusted proxy adds a score to a message based on some statistical
technique. If you have already have your proxy instructed to act
according to a specific value range of this spam score then it would
just perform the action. Alternatively, you could also forward the info
to the end host. For one hop you will quite likely not need any digital
signature but instead you would rely on the mechanisms you have in place
already to secure the rest of the signaling message exchanges between
the proxy and the SIP UA.

The case where two domains exchange some information about the
likelihood of spam is a bit different. In
draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spit-02 the mechanism to convey this
info is suggested to be carried in an additional header.
In draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-00.txt a more extensive set of info
is encoded in XML.

The main questions are:

* What is the most likely usage model?
   - Who does the marking?
   - Who makes the decisions based on this marking?
* Can we trust intermediaries that they do not play around with the
marking?
* Can we trust the entity that makes the marking?

Ciao
Hannes

Jeremy Barkan (DigitalShtick) wrote:
> Hi Hannes -
>
> Regarding domain crossing and policy - there would need to be some trust
> mechanism in order for the receiving domain [ either the terminating domain
> or some proxy/transit/provider domain in the downstream flow ] to apply the
> authorizations.
>
> If the authorization is end-to-end - the trust model is simplified [ such as
> SIP Identity ] and this is what I understood from the draft.
>
> If the authorization is distributed across the hops - it's more complicated,
> with all the fragility and complexity you mentioned of a chain of trust.
> In this case - we would need a framework [ SAML ] to express the
> relationships.
>
> Your thoughts ?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeremy