RE: [Sipping] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-jennings-sipping-pay-02.txt

"Henry Sinnreich" <henry@pulver.com> Wed, 20 July 2005 16:47 UTC

From: Henry Sinnreich <henry@pulver.com>
To: "'Tschofenig, Hannes'" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>, henry@sinnreich.net, 'sipping WG' <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-jennings-sipping-pay-02.txt
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:47:35 -0500
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

>could you elaborate a bit more on your statement about
>voip payments using either flat rate or complex 3rd party business models?

Most VoIP consumer services on the market have flat rates, such as $20/month
unlimited. See for example http://www.packet8.net/ (unlimited) that I happen
to use. Many PSTN consumer services are also flat rate, see for example
http://consumer.mci.com/TheNeighborhood/res_local_service/jsps/default.jsp

There are also many mobile services with flat rate, such as
http://sprintpcs.com/

My apology for picking service examples I am most familiar with.

Third party consumer-business payment models could involve a search engine
to deliver product information along some advertismens and finally a
click-to-call service to connect the buyer with the seller. Such calls are
obviously much more valuable to the seller and the revenue sharing models
are an interesting topic apart.

I would be still interested in the motivation for choosing the particular
approach in this I-D as well as the pros and cons, though the reference
<draft-ietf-sipping-spam-00.txt> is most welcome. This is more of a
discussion paper after all, since no experimental data are available, as
required for a standards track document.

Last but not least, these nits are only meant to enahnce the proposal that I
believe is very interesting.

Thanks, Henry

i think a comparison with other spit proposals is not really necessary given
the detailed description in
<draft-ietf-sipping-spam-00.txt>

could you elaborate a bit more on your statement about voip payments using
either flat rate or complex 3rd party business models?

ciao
hannes