Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP

Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com> Mon, 11 July 2005 20:22 UTC

From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:21:34 -0700
To: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@lucent.com>
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>, 'sipping' WG <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Vijay,

On Jul 11, 2005, at 9:52, Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:
> Rohan Mahy wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> I just submitted a new individual I-D that describes a possible
>> solution to the Heterogeneous Error Response Forking Protocol.  Until
>>  it appears in the archives, you can find it here:
>> https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/rohan/herf-fix/draft-mahy-
>> sipping-herfp-fix-00.txt
>> https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/rohan/herf-fix/draft-mahy-
>> sipping-herfp-fix-00.html
>
> Rohan:
>
> Interesting approach to the problem.  After a quick reading, it
> strikes me that a long time ago, we had a SIP mantra that was oft
> repeated: "Every transaction completes independent of others."
>
> Did we break this mantra?  In Figure 4, there are two INVITEs
> leaving the UAC, the second in response to the 130.  However,
> there is only one final response coming back to the UAC (the
> 200 OK).  Since the draft states that the original INVITE request
> is unaffected by the new request, it would seem that the UAC
> will wait for another final response to balance out the original
> request?

I don't think we broke that mantra.  The original INVITE request still
needs to receive the "best final response" from the proxy.  If the UAC
sent INVITE requests to repair any of the branches, the target-set just
uses 487 instead of the actual 4xx or 5xx for the branch for the
purpose of best-response processing.  A 2xx or 6xx will always win the
best-response war, and hopefully most 4xx responses will win instead of
a 487.

thanks,
-rohan