Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP

"Jeroen van Bemmel" <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> Sat, 09 July 2005 16:50 UTC

From: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
To: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:49:45 +0200
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>, 'sipping' WG <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

>> Hi Rohan,
>>
>> Section 3 picture at the end: what happens if UAS1 sends some provisional
>> response (with a to-tag) before sending the 415?
>
> Why would UAS1 send any provisional response (other than a 100 Trying)
> before figuring out there was an error?  I've never seen an implementation
> do this, and the spec is pretty clear that you immediately send these
> error before you get the the processing stage where you would normally
> send a 18x.

Well, I could think of the following scenario:

1. INVITE
2. proxy forks
3. an UAC receives: 100
4. 180 ringing
5. User presses 'cancel' (does not want to be disturbed) -> 486 Busy here
[ maybe some implementations would send 603 decline instead though ]

You could argue that 486 is not a repairable error. In the draft you mention
"400-class or 500-class response other than a 503, 487, or 408" as
repairable responses that should trigger a 130, aren't there more cases that
can potentially cause problems?
Perhaps it would be good to explicitly list those codes that are classified
as 'repairable', and consider everything else as non-repairable. In
particular, I think codes in the 4xx-5xx range that are currently undefined
should be treated as unrepairable.

I am not sure if it would be a problem if the UAC received 2 to tags, 1 from
the UAS (or UAC) and one from the proxy. If so then perhaps you could
specify that in case a provisional response other than trying was received
on the branch, then 130 should not be sent

>> If the proxy generates a to-tag of its own for the 130, wouldn't the UAC
>> get confused?
>
> are you asking this in general, or only after the UAS sent its own to-tag?

I'll admit I didn't give it much thought yet but a question popped up about
the case where the UAS would send a provisional response with its own
to-tag, which would create an early dialog at the caller. The 130 from the
proxy would generate a second early dialog, what happens to them?

I have a second question regarding section 5 : client should send CANCEL to
acknowledge reception of the 130. Normally CANCEL should have the same
request URI as the original request, so this usage of CANCEL seems a bit out
of the ordinary to me. Could an ACK not be used instead?

For my understanding: if the proxy would generate a final response for each
repairable error instead, each time generating a new to-tag, then that would
require modifications to the UAC transaction state machine, right?
(exception for final error code xxx)

> thanks,
> -rohan
>
>> Jeroen