Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP

Rohan Mahy <rohan@rohan.com> Tue, 19 July 2005 13:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:23:32 -0700
From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@rohan.com>
To: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Possible Solution to HERFP
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>, 'sipping' WG <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jeroen,

In order to get the best user experience, the proxy should not have to
introduce an artificial delay so that the UAC can get (and possibly act
on) a repairable error.  For example, if branch #4 is the best possible
contact to reach me, but it responds with a 401 or a 415 or a 420,
delaying this until the proxy has heard from all branches, even for a few
moments, prevents the UA from getting the "best" branch.

thanks,
-rohan