RE: [Sipping] Call Completion: In Defense of Explicit Operations

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com> Sat, 07 April 2007 18:29 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:28:47 +0100
From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Call Completion: In Defense of Explicit Operations
To: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, SIPPING WG <sipping@ietf.org>

I know this feature is quite popular in the PSTN residential market in
various countries in Europe, particularly Germany and also the UK to some
extent. Customers seem prepared to spend a few euro cents for the
convenience it gives in a presence-less environment. So I think the
operators of those networks want to make sure they don't lose this when they
evolve to SIP. Given that in SIP you could do things differently and
hopefully better, PSTN interworking would appear to be the essential driver
behind the TISPAN requirements, but presumably an important driver in the
eyes of the carriers concerned. For the enterprise market I just don't see
it as important. We used to have it on PBXs right back in the 70s and 80s
and it was popular then, but voicemail has pretty well taken over in the
enterprise. I hope this sheds some light.

John