Re: [Sipping] Overload work...lost in the ether?

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Mon, 18 August 2008 16:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:19:15 -0500
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Overload work...lost in the ether?
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Daryl,

Did you have a chance to look at the minutes of the IETF-72 SIPPING WG
session?
http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/meets/ietf72/notes/sipping-72-minutes.t
xt

The folks involved are working as aggressively as possible (given the
limitations of the people involved and relative to other work in the RAI
area) and have all invested a significant amount of time in the activity
over the past couple of years - . I can give you lots of examples of
other very important work in terms of the industry that has progressed
far more slowly.   We do need to progress in a logical manner, which is
why the model and design considerations document is important.  Given my
experience, in most cases when we've fast tracked things to the SIP WG,
we've gotten stuck in the mode of folks actually not agreeing some of
the fundamentals. So, I personally think it's very important that this
is done right and in consultation with the right experts - industry and
IETF (e.g., TSV).

>From my personal experience with the vendor community, you are right
that folks are already implementing solutions, but I honestly don't
think that we're nearly as far behind as we've been in other areas in
the past and most folks I've talked to recognize the importance of doing
this right - this isn't just a header or event package involved - the
models and when folks make use of the headers, etc. is really far more
important.

So, perhaps, this may sound like an excuse, but I think the folks
involved are doing the best they can and from a process perspective.

One of the best ways to get this work done more quickly is for folks to
provide constructive feedback on the documents - i.e., the one that
we've just agreed as a WG document, so I will take your message as an
indicator of your volunteering to be a reviewer for this doc when the
-00 is submitted.

It's also imperative for folk help us complete the other work items more
quickly. This really means paying attention and thinking through things
early on rather than waiting until work is getting ready to leave the WG
to make comments (and in many cases reverse past WG consensus), which
has been the mode of operation for several of the RAI WGs many of us are
involved in.

So, if folks believe this work is really important, please volunteer as
a reviewer and please help us complete other key industry deliverables
such as the profile-dataset work.

Regards,
Mary.
--mostly as SIPPING WG chair, other than when I used the term "personal"
or "personally".