[Sipping] WG: [VOIPSEC] VoIP Spam paper

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sun, 25 November 2007 13:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:32:51 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: SIPPING LIST <sipping@ietf.org>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>
Cc: voipsec@voipsa.org, vijay.arvind@gmail.com
Subject: [Sipping] WG: [VOIPSEC] VoIP Spam paper

Hi  all

BACKGROUND

In the IETF SIPPING WG we had discussions regarding SPIT prevention
mechanism. Particularly with regard to the SPIT marking techniques it
seems that there is some disagreement about the usefulness of
statistical techniques. A number of ideas have been discussed already on
various IETF mailing lists.
I would like to bring another paper to your attention that has been
posted to the VOIPSEC mailing list.

THE PAPER

The paper says that it exploit the fact that in regular communication
users both make and receive calls, while spammers are interested in only
making calls and disseminating information. This paper takes existing
work from the email environment and applies it to VoIP (as it seems).

The basic idea is to observe communication and call duration in
particular. Thereby, the call duration is used to create, so-called call
credentials. A call credential CC consists of A, the identity of the
caller, B, the identity of the call recipient, t, the call duration and
TS, the time stamp of the call along with a digital signature of the
same information.

Although not stated explicitly, I assume that information about a users
call patters are stored with its VoIP provider. Then, when a user makes
a call information about the call patters (i.e., in the form of call
credentials) are made available to the receiving domain or other end
point. Sharing information about the sender with the recipient's domain
or the recipient itself has been described in
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-01.txt
(although no reference to that document is included in the paper). This
work on utilizing social networks, as described in
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ono-trust-path-discovery-02.txt, might
also be applicable.

To deal with the introduction problem turing tests are suggested.

Working on draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-01.txt we encountered
problems, such as

* Deployment challenge to get SPIT SAML to deploy. Without it being
widely deployed the receiving domain does not have a way to know
anything about the call statistics. Hence, the mechanism would only work
within a single domain. Without sufficient deployment the mechanisms
described in the paper wouldn't be so useful either. As such, this
deployment challenge has nothing todo with SAML but is rather a generic
problem with the solution approach outlined in the paper (although the
authors claim it differently in Section 2.4 "Related Work").

* Privacy aspects: It is not clear whether it is actually possible to
distribute some of this information from one domain to another one
without violating some privacy laws.

* Trusting the information provided by the sending domain is likely to
work only for larger VoIP providers. In the worst case the Spammer might
provide this information since he is acting as a VoIP provider.

The idea of using call patterns for SPIT prevention is not new. Still,
the provided details for using the call duration (using the Eigentrust
algorithm) in a SPIT prevention scenario are nice. Maybe this paper
provides a different spin to our SPIT marking discussion.

Ciao
Hannes

PS: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-01.txt did
not describe which algorithms to use to compute some of the parameters.
I believe that this is fine for an IETF document given that there are a
lot of implementation specific aspects that are not relevant for
standardization.