[Sipping] Re: [VOIPSEC] VoIP Spam paper

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sat, 19 January 2008 19:20 UTC

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:19:51 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: vijay arvind <vijay.arvind@gmail.com>
Cc: voipsec@voipsa.org, SIPPING LIST <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: [Sipping] Re: [VOIPSEC] VoIP Spam paper

Hi Vijay,

sorry for the late response.

First, I would like to start with a high-level observation. You are
combining authentication and authorization in your documents. I don't
believe that this is really necessary. SPIT prevention is largely an
authorization problem that can be separated from the specific details of
how authentication was done. This is also true for the current SIP work
where various mechanisms are available for authentication but they are
largely decoupled from the authorization policy framework used, for
example, in the presence authorization policy work or for media
security. Our work on SPIT prevention focuses on the authorization part
since there is a lot of prior work in the context of SIP-based
authentication that can be leveraged without introducing a lot of
dependency. For us, there is very little reason to come up with new
solutions in the authentication space only for SPIT prevention usage.

Now, I have some comments for you inline:

vijay arvind wrote:
> Hello Hannes,
> Thanks for introducing the paper to the larger community. Was away for
> thanksgiving so could not respond earlier. I have a few
> additions/corrections to what has been mentioned in your mail:
>
> 1) The contents of the call credential:
> The call credential contains the following information, in addition, to
> provide sender authentication and remove the possibility of credential
> misuse:
> Identity of Caller, Public Key of Caller, Identity of Call Recipient, Public
> Key of Call Recipient, Call Duration, Timestamp, {all the previous info
> encrypted with the callers private key}.
> This ensures multiple things

In the context of our work I guess we are largely interested only in the
"Call Duration" part of your solution (rather than the authentication
specific parts).

> a) If Alice and Bob know each other (and have each others public keys as
> described in work
> http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~vijayab/locating_SIP_users.pdf), then when
> Charlie calls with a credential from Bob, Alice can actually ensure the
> credential is from Bob.

The case where they know each other (and they are already on each
other's buddy list) is easy.

I browsed through the paper and I believe you describe the SIP CERT
concept.
I am not sure whether your understanding of SIP digest and SIPS usage
matches my understanding.
You might want to double-check your performance results.

> 2) Deployment:
> Quoting Hannes: "Although not stated explicitly, I assume that information
> about a users
> call patters are stored with its VoIP provider."
> This is not how the paper extracts information about a user. Consider user
> Alice who uses say Vonage's VOIP service and thus all calls to and from
> Alice pass through Vonage's proxy server. Now lets say user Dave wants to
> call Alice and is using some VoIP provider X. Then Dave's reputation (if he
> doesnt have an SN credential) is assigned by the Vonage proxy and built on
> all the interactions (call history) that Vonages' customers have had with
> him.
I see. In essence, you are saying that every VoIP provider would story
information about customers of other VoIP providers IF they have ever
called a user of that domain (+ maybe considering "garbage" collection
via a TTL).

When someone uses SIP privacy mechanisms then they would never gain
reputation in the way how your system works since SIP privacy hides the
identity of the caller towards the callee (including the domain of the
destination).

>  So the reputation for an incoming call is assigned by the proxy of the
> call recipient (that is Alice's Vonage proxy).

Wouldn't the caller's home domain be the most likely party that knows
something about the call pattern of that user?

>  So Vonage will thus have a
> reputation matrix of all users of Vonage and all users that Vonage users
> have interacted with and then assign reputations (based on
> Eigentrust(pagerank)) to them. Daves proxy X has no say in this matter.

Got it.

> Therefore if a particular VoIP provider provides this reputation calculating
> mechanism, users of that VoIP provider can utilize it and we expect the
> deployment to work that way.
>
> 3) Privacy aspects:
> The paper as it stands now has privacy issues with regards to its credential
> sharing mechanism. We have come up with a way to address that and that will
> be available along with an actual implementation of CallRank that we are
> building on MjSip as a client and OpenSER as the proxy server.

I am looking forward to see how it works.

> 4) Future work:
> In addition to what is already mentioned we realize that for each proxy to
> calculate the reputation matrix for a large number of users we need far more
> intelligent, efficient ways of calcualting the reputation matrix. We find
> that there are ways in which we can organize the matrix to come up with
> efficient and accurate reputation calculations. All this and more are part
> of the next paper that we are working on.

Excellent.

> I hope I have clarified certain things that we could not provide in all
> detail in the paper due to space constraints.

Yep. Your comments have helped me a lot. Thanks.

Ciao
Hannes