Re: [Sipping] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-bryan-sipping-midi-01.txt

Eric Burger <eburger@bea.com> Mon, 18 June 2007 06:37 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:51:35 +0900
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-bryan-sipping-midi-01.txt
From: Eric Burger <eburger@bea.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, David Bryan <dbryan@sipeerior.com>
Cc: "sipping (E-mail)" <sipping@ietf.org>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>

Could we get the double-super-secret motivation for resubmitting the draft?

Is it for the originally stated purpose, to render standard ring-tones via
specification as MIDI files (because 3GPP supports MIDI?)?  If so, there are
probably better ways of doing this than in MIDI.   Most of the draft is (I
think, incorrect) ways to hack MIDI to generate tones that are almost the
real tones.

Is it to support custom ring-tones?  If so, I could really get on board.

I am not going to spend cycles on the draft unless I know what the
motivations are.  Knowing the motivations will dramatically alter the
direction I think the draft should go.

I do have an opinion on specifying the something in the INVITE instead of as
early media.  Early media is bad and evil and hard and very easy to have
weird stuff happen.  That should be enough, but for those who count every
byte, transporting a small set of MIDI events over RTP instead of sending a
Standard MIDI File means one has to pay the RTP and packet tax.  Thus, I
have no problem suggesting that one should NOT use RTP and early media for
such purposes.

I would also draw folks attention to:
draft-kosonen-sp-midi-mediatype

On 6/15/07 4:27 PM, "Cullen Jennings" <fluffy@cisco.com> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Colin Perkins wrote:
>
>> On 4 Jun 2007, at 20:50, Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>>> directories.
>>>

>>> Title  : Telephony Tones Using MIDI in SIP
>>> Author(s) : C. Jennings, D. Bryan
>>> Filename : draft-bryan-sipping-midi-01.txt
>>> Pages  : 68
>>> Date  : 2007-6-4
>>>
>>> This document describes conventions for using MIDI to generate tones
>>>    on SIP UAs.  This does not define any changes to SIP but describes
>>>    how to use the existing Alert-Info header to play tones that
>>> can be
>>>    used to indicate specialized PSTN tones such as the ringback tones
>>>    from various countries.  The tones are described using MIDI which
>>>    results in a compact representation that is simple for a UA to
>>>    generate and easy to render into audio.

>>>    This draft was revived at request of a few people so it could be
>>>    discussed.  Parts of it need to be updated since it was written in
>>>    2003.
>>>
>>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bryan-sipping-midi-01.txt
>>
>> Interesting draft. A couple of comments:
>
> Interesting is fair :-) David and I just resubmitted this based on a
> request of a few people want to have a current version to talk about.
>

>> How would this compare to sending audio/tone [RFC 4733 section
>> 4.3.3] data in SIP? (I realise the audio/tone format is currently
>> only defined for transport via RTP, but it could easily be extended
>> for this use, and is simpler than MIDI).
>
> Uh, this is likely larger, and far more complicated to implement for
> the receiver. I like the idea of using tones.
>

>> Also, one could presumably achieve a similar effect using early
>> media with either the RFC 4733 or RFC 4695 RTP payload formats.
>> Some discussion of the trade-off between the approaches would be
>> valuable.
>
> If we did go forward with something based on midi, it would need to
> be brought inline with 4695 but totally agree with you, the pro' s
> and con's of doing this in SIP signaling vs. what we have now where
> it is done in RTP with early media would need to be discussed.
> Including the interaction with HERFP.
>

>> --
>> Colin Perkins
>> http://csperkins.org/

> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
> Use sip@ietf.org for new developments of core SIP

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.