Re: [Slim] Issue 43: How to know the modality of a language indication?

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Sat, 14 October 2017 20:22 UTC

To: slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 22:22:03 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] Issue 43: How to know the modality of a language indication?

Den 2017-10-14 kl. 20:03, skrev Bernard Aboba:

> Gunnar said:
>
> "Applications not implementing such specific notations may use the
> following simple deductions.
>
> - A language tag in audio media is supposed to indicate spoken modality.
<GH>This proposal was intended to express approximately the same as the
current 5.4, but in a more strict way, being easy for applications to
use and allowing for extensions.
We have now (in version -16 reduced the defined modalities to sign
language in video, written in text and spoken in audio. That is
simplification enough for the review comment to be satisfied.
It seems too complicated to get agreement about this rewording so we can
drop the proposal. The already done rewording in 5.4 in version -16 to
say that other use of language tags is not defined in this document
opens well for other work to add new valid media/modality/language tag
combinations.

I continue answering your questions anyway.

> [BA] Even a tag with "Sign Language" in the description??
<GH>Yes. The receiving application would trust the sending application
and know that a language tag in audio is not a sign language tag. If it
was anyway, a match would be very unlikely.

> - A language tag in text media is supposed to indicate  written modality.
>
> [BA] If the tag has "Sign Language" in the description, can this
> document really say that?
<GH>The idea is to have a simple rule to meet the needs indicated by the
review comment.

> - A language tag in video media is supposed to indicate visual sign
> language modality except for the case when it is supposed to indicate
> a view of a speaking person mentioned in section 5.2 characterized by
> the exact same language tag also appearing in an audio media
> specification.
>
> [BA] It seems like an over-reach to say that a spoken language tag in
> video media should instead be interpreted as a request for Sign
> Language.  If this were done, would it always be clear which Sign
> Language was intended?  And could we really assume that both sides, if
> negotiating a spoken language tag in video media, were really
> indicating the desire to sign?  It seems like this could easily result
> interoperability failure.
<GH>Yes it would result in interoperability failure. A match would be
very unlikely. But the sentence means that  the sending application
should only put sign language tags in the video description and the
receiving application could trust that the tags in video descriptions
are sign language tags. ( except for the exception that we are now
prepared to drop if all agree. (already gone in version -16))

> - A language tag in media where the modality is obvious or specified
> for the media subtype definition is supposed to indicate that modality.
> - A language tag in other media descriptions than above has undefined
> modality."
<GH>these two were maybe the more important additions plus the
mentioning in the beginning of a possibility to add indication of
modality to a media specification or a language specification by further
work.

/Gunnar