Re: [Softwires] draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Tue, 16 August 2011 16:27 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:28:29 +0200
To: Softwires-wg <softwires@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation

Hello all,

It appears that confirming on this list the vote made in Quebec would be useful.
Please see below.

Le 16 août 2011 à 17:03, <mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> <mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> a écrit :

>  ... there was a vote in favour of adopting this document as a WG document but as you know this vote should be confirmed in the ML.

I have seen drafts becoming WG drafts after votes during meetings but, fair enough, let's see if, after the unanimous vote in the meeting, there are serious objections to it now.

> A call for adoption should normally be issued by the chairs according to the IETF procedure.
>
> As for the content of the next iteration of the document, we have two options so far:
>
> (1) Put back some sections which have been removed in -02,

Support.
Some of them were worth having, IMHO.

> add a new section to discuss dynamic vs. static,

> handle the comments received from J. Arkko, etc.

Sure.
Doing this while the draft is already a WG draft seems to me normal after the vote result (but no objection to doing it right away if found better.

> Or
>
> 2) An alternative structure has been proposed off-line by A. Durand: discuss dynamic vs. static and stateful vs. dynamic.

Offline discussions are of course completely free, and useful, but a WG consensus can only be built in the open, i.e. on the WG mailing list.
I am aware of at least part of the offline discussion you refer to, and therefore suppose you meant "dynamic vs static AND stateful vs _stateless_".
Several pointed out, in that discussion, that the stateless & dynamic combination doesn't really make sense.
In any case, this discussion hasn't been pursued on the WG list.

> The analysis would elaborate the pros and cons of each solution (static stateless, static stateful, dynamic stateful,...). This document would be an analysis document and not a motivation document anymore. This document has no milestone in the charter IMHO. Note the charter mentions the following:
>
> "Aug 2011 - Adopt stateless legacy IPv4 solution motivation document as a Working Group document"
>

> I personally think the first option is straightforward

So do I, => +1
That is IMHO the only acceptable option in view of the vote result.

> but I'm open to the opinions of the working group members on how to proceed.

Let's see then.

Regards to all,
RD