Re: [Softwires] draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Tue, 16 August 2011 15:02 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:03:02 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation@tools.ietf.org" <draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] draft-operators-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation

Hi Rémi,

Yes, there was a vote in favour of adopting this document as a WG document but as you know this vote should be confirmed in the ML. A call for adoption should normally be issued by the chairs according to the IETF procedure.

As for the content of the next iteration of the document, we have two options so far:

(1) Put back some sections which have been removed in -02, add a new section to discuss dynamic vs. static, handle the comments received from J. Arkko, etc.

Or

2) An alternative structure has been proposed off-line by A. Durand: discuss dynamic vs. static and stateful vs. dynamic. The analysis would elaborate the pros and cons of each solution (static stateless, static stateful, dynamic stateful,...). This document would be an analysis document and not a motivation document anymore. This document has no milestone in the charter IMHO. Note the charter mentions the following:

"Aug 2011 - Adopt stateless legacy IPv4 solution motivation document as a Working Group document"

I personally think the first option is straightforward but I'm open to the opinions of the working group members on how to proceed.

Cheers,
Med