Re: [Softwires] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-04.txt

Qiong <bingxuere@gmail.com> Fri, 04 November 2011 08:01 UTC

From: Qiong <bingxuere@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 16:00:22 +0800
To: Olivier Vautrin <ovautrin@juniper.net>
Cc: softwires <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-04.txt

Hi, Olivier,

Thanks for your comments:)  I would like to explain a bit more.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Olivier Vautrin <ovautrin@juniper.net>wrote:

> Hello, thanks for this interesting draft.
>
> In your use case, could you explain if every CPE/Host need to reach
> Internet? That would be the case in a typical Broadband deployment but
> perhaps not in your deployment scenario.

Actually, we have already implemented on both CPE/Host-based initiator. We
have described it in Appendix1, and we have also run a host-based demo
system in IETF 81.

> If all CPE needs Internet access, all of them with an IP@ need a dedicated
> "bucket of ports" installed in the Concentrator. Which means that we could
> just have a static allocation of ports in the Concentrator instead of
> DHCP/PCP mechanism as described in your draft.
>
> I think it is a good feature of stateful approach to have flexible port
allocation. The static allocation of ports is discussed in stateless
solution. Anyway, stateful and stateless solution would have its own
advantage and disadvantage.

> My point is we could have a Stateless mechanism in the Concentrator as
> described in SD-NAT (draft-penno-softwire-sdnat-01) and just use regular
> DHCP/Radius on the CPE to get a dynamic address allocation with the same
> result.

A quick comment: it seems SD-NAT has introduced double address translation
making use of regular DHCP/Radius. It is very interesting, however, it
would introduce more ALG issues than single NAT. It is more like a
hub&spoke stateless solution, e.g. stateless 4over6, etc. I'm not sure how
this kind of stateless mechanism compared to 4rd, dIVI, etc. And I would
prefer a unified address+port allocation algorithm in softwire WG.

Best wishes

Qiong