Re: [Softwires] Changes to DHCP MAP Option draft

<ian.farrer@telekom.de> Fri, 19 July 2013 11:08 UTC

From: ian.farrer@telekom.de
To: suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com, Yiu_Lee@Cable.Comcast.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:08:24 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: softwires@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Changes to DHCP MAP Option draft

Hi Suresh / Yiu,

>From my perspective, the new version of the MAP DHCP draft is very much
aligned with the recent discussions that we've had in the SW & DHC
workgroups. There's still a little fine tuning needed, but it's pretty
close to what's been proposed in draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe and
definitely a big step in the right direction.

What I think the problem here is that we have had quite a lot of change
within the SW workgroup and the corresponding active drafts across the
last 6 months or so. The provisioning drafts are now being updated to
reflect these changes. At the same time, the provisioning mechanisms are
being updated and extended (e.g. DHCPv4overDHCPv6, dynamic v4 provisioning
and probably others).

In order to pull all of this together and to enable meaningful discussion,
I suggest that there needs to be an overview of the relevant provisioning
drafts, mechanisms, DHCP options and whatever else documented in one place
so that we can take stock of how (and maybe if) all of this works together.

If people agree that this is the right way forward, I'll volunteer to put
this overview together. I would also ask for another volunteer to assist,
though as I'm sure that I don't have the complete overview.

If there's still space on the agenda for Berlin, then we can use this as
the basis of the discussion.

Cheers,
Ian