Re: [lamps] OID für KEM?

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 08 October 2021 16:54 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 12:54:34 -0400
Cc: LAMPS WG <spasm@ietf.org>
To: Uri Blumenthal <uri@ll.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [lamps] OID für KEM?

Uri:

Researchers are going to assign OIDs to use in their projects.  A group of researchers might collaborate to use the same OIDs.  My worry is that these will not ever go away.

The LAMPS WG cannot assign these OIDs.  The charter says:

   5.a. The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
   has a Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQC) effort to produce one or more
   quantum-resistant public-key cryptographic algorithm standards.
   The LAMPS WG will specify the use of these new PQC public key
   algorithms with the PKIX certificates and the Cryptographic Message
   Syntax (CMS). These specifications will use object identifiers
   for the new algorithms that are assigned by NIST.

Russ